Mold is a common occurrence in many properties across the United States. It thrives in indoor spaces exposed to moisture, damp air, and insufficient sunlight. While some types of mold are beneficial, like those used in cheese production, the mold that grows in your home can lead to health issues, allergies, and permanent damage. Water damage can quickly lead to mold growth, which can be extremely hazardous if not addressed promptly.
Here’s a closer look at how water contributes to mold growth, why it’s harmful, and how to properly test for it in your home:
- Water Leaks and Mold Formation: Mold can start growing on damp surfaces within 24 to 48 hours. Therefore, it’s essential to identify common ways water can infiltrate your home and cause mold growth. Some of the main culprits include roof leaks, flooding, malfunctioning AC units, damp laundry, and plumbing leaks.
- Health Risks Posed by Mold: There are thousands of different types of mold, some of which can cause allergies, infections, cancer, and even death. Exposure to toxic mold is especially dangerous for children and people with compromised immune systems. Even healthy individuals can develop health issues from indoor mold when it overruns their home, or they inhale large amounts of airborne spores.
- Mold Testing: While you can purchase an at-home mold test from most hardware stores, these tests can sometimes give false results. Testing for mold is a complex and potentially dangerous task that should be done by a certified, experienced mold inspector. If your home has been exposed to water damage and you suspect it might contain mold, the best course of action is a professional inspection and testing.
In conclusion, mold could be lurking in your home, posing risks to you, your family, and your pets. If your home has been exposed to water damage or moisture, it’s recommended to have a certified professional inspect and conduct necessary tests. Comprehensive mold inspections are accurate and can protect your family from living in an unhealthy environment.